Re: [LUG] Linux not booting

On Tuesday 22 Jul 2003 5:38 pm, gemma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I wasn't really editing any config files I was in the KDE GUI and looking
> to see if there were any settings I could change to affect what each user
> can see on their Red Hat menu and to see if I could give my user account a
> "Shutdown Computer" option like the root account had instead of just log

You would need to adjust the permissions on the shutdown command so that it
can be executed by all users, then create a link in the menu to that. I don't
know if it can be put into the 'top-level' of the menu or just into one of
the folders like Configuration or Applications. It would be easier to put it
into a panel applet (where you've got the K menu button, the Help ring and
the console/shell applet). Read up on man chmod and especially take note of
the warnings about making shutdown SUID - it would allow anyone logged into
your system (including an intruder if your firewall isn't good enough) to
shutdown the computer no matter what you might be doing.

> off. I don't usually make a habit of logging in as root, I always use my
> own user account. The data is not all that important, the only thing I
> would miss is my linmodem driver (it took me ages to find) which is in a

Can you remember the filename? www.google.co.uk/linux will find it from that.
What about a backup?

> after booting from redhat installation CD but it had no effect. Trying to
> enter rescue mode from the installation CD gives me a couple of white
> vertical lines which shift to random positions on the screen every 2
> seconds or so.
>
> Strangely enough I had this come up when I was installing redhat???

Sounds like your graphics card is not getting the right setup commands from
the bootloader. Try a text install next time.

> *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> *** when you leave the shell.
> Give root password for maintenance

Have you tried the rescue option?

--