Re: [LUG] Wireless Netowrking

Phil Vossler wrote:

> I can't answer these questions - but I would definitely be interested in a
> community area wireless network. There's lots of people round where I live in
> St James that would be keen as long as the cost wasn't too high.
>
> Anyone else on the list interested? Perhaps we could set up a "working party"
> to carry out some research....
>
> As to the internet link -if we plan to use Janet (which would restrict who
> could gain access to Uni staff/students) the Physics tower would be an ideal
> location.

As my talk at the Linux day should indicate I'm keen, but I was planning
to do my village first!

Henry O'Tani is good chap, runs www.wlan.org.uk, mind of information.

I think I have the basic research for 802.11b in place.

Probably want to find someome with an Amateur radio license, seems a
fairly arbitary rules but they have to take responsibility for
interference issues and the like.

Also the big thing needed is decent backhaul, as you don't want this
expense for a shared 128kbps link.

Performance of 802.11b cards without additional antennas is pathetic in
most cases.

Must get on with real work, but I'll persuade Henry to join the list if
I can, know he has been busy trying to find backers to manufacturer a
new type of microwave antenna.

	Simon