[LUG] problems

Following recompiling my kernel, I seem to be having a few problems.

1. Printer not working however this may be due to lack of lp support.
However this did not seem to be default in make xconfig,  as it had n (no)
as the option.

2. When connected to the net, kppp dialog box seems odd in that the buttons
are white and I don't think it's the right dialog anyway looks more like the
box I get when it askes me to dial in with connect, disconnect,  quit and
setup,  I need to alt f2 and run xkill to exit .  I think it can dial but
then crashes.

3. I can't access either my /dev/hda1 (/mnt/dosc partition or /dev/fd0
/mnt/floppy complains that support for vfat and dos are not in the kernel,
strangely mtools rpm seems to cause segmentation fault when installed,  from
both command line and kpackage.  Could these be related,  i.e when rpm
installs mtools package does it check for vfat,  msdos filesystem support.
or do I just have dodgy rpm files.

4.  When I send e-mail it' goes into the sent items folder but does not
appear to actually get sent,  I have just rewritten my joe command reference
(5 years since I wrote the last one so I thought I should update it,
unfortunateley the above problems are preventing submission etc.  I may have
a configuration problem so I still need to investigate that.

Is it possible to use insmod for fat32/dos/vfat support or do I need to
recompile my kernel again?

I will try to use my old kernel if I can find it,  how do I create a
bootkernel disk with dd as cp kernelname /dev/fd0 does not seem to work?

thanks.